Monday, July 19, 2010

The St. George Temple



Announced: 9 November 1871
Private Dedication: 1 January 1877 by Erastus Snow
Dedication: 6–8 April 1877 by Daniel H. Wells
Public Open House: 15–25 October 1975
Rededication: 11–12 November 1975 by Spencer W. Kimball

Temple Facts

The St. George Utah Temple is the oldest operating temple of the Church.

The St. George Utah Temple was originally named the St. George Temple.

The St. George Utah Temple is the only temple completed during Brigham Young's time as the president of the Church

The St. George Utah Temple was originally patterned after the Kirtland and Nauvoo

The original tower of the St. George Utah Temple, which Brigham Young considered "squatty," fell casualty to a lightning storm about a year after its dedication. A new tower was completed several years later, taller and more majestic than the first.

The St. George Utah Temple was privately dedicated on January 1, 1877, in a series of three dedicatory prayers: the baptistry by Wilford Woodruff, the main floor by Erastus Snow, and the sealing room by Brigham Young.

The St. George Utah Temple is the first temple where endowments for the dead were performed.

The Founding Fathers of the United States of America appeared twice to Wilford Woodruff in the St. George Utah Temple asking why their temple work had yet not been performed on their behalves. A striking painting depicting this singular event hangs in the temple lobby.

The St. George Utah Temple was remodeled for over a year from 1937 to 1938.

Following a second major renovation project, the St. George Utah Temple nearly doubled its 56,062 square feet. It was opened to the public for an open house and formally rededicated in 1975.

No comments:

Post a Comment